Sunday, July 6, 2008

I SHOULD HAVE BEEN A COWBOY or in my case.....A COWGIRL

I have been staying with my Aunt and trying to keep things running around here but somewhere in the mist the clothes have doubled and still waiting to be washed. The week has flown by me and I sit here and wonder where did the days and hours go? Friday some of the kids and I loaded up to go on a 19 mile trail ride. I rode my new mare, Jazz, and was a little nervous riding her. We got along beautifully. Half way through our ride we got caught up in a storm. It was raining so hard that I couldn't see and the lighting and thundering was awful and we won't even talk about the wind. There was no where for us to seek shelter but under trees and I wasn't even going to go there so we rode on. The whole time I was riding, I kept singing, 'I should've been a cowboy' by Toby Keith. I honestly felt like I was in a western book just riding the storm out. When the rain let up, I dropped the reins and let her have her head and away we flew. It was like we was out in the flat country and trying to out run that storm.lol Even the boys on their mounts was having a hard time keeping up with me. When we got back to the truck, the boys rode up and told me that I was laying on her neck and steadly spurring her. I told them that after what we had just came thru I wasn't going to let any grass grow under our feet. We all looked like drowned rats. Even though the rain was stinging our faces and arms, horses quivering underneath us every time it lightened or thundered, our clothes plastered to our bodies, we had a good time and even talked about doing it again.

5 comments:

BClark said...

What an adventure and a good horse to go through thunder and lightning and not act up. I quite often imagaine what it must have been like coming to this country and making a home and living. Took a lot to make it back then.
Glad you are all safe and that it was a good adventure.

Best to you, Barbara
Prayers for your Aunt

Renie Burghardt said...

Laura,

Wow, that was quite an adventure! Jazz sounds like she can outdo the best of them, with a good rider like you. You may not be a cowboy, but you're even better than one!

Hope your aunt has improved considerably, and prayers thay she continues to get better.

Take care, have fun but be safe!

Thank you for the touching comment you left on my latest post. I sure do appreciate it.

Blessings and Hugs,

Renie

ancient one said...

I don't know how you could stay on a horse during a thunder and lightening storm. My husband and the boys once got caught in a storm. They managed to get into someone's barn and held the reins through the door... the lightening was popping all around and my husband said it was striking all around the horses... Back at home... just a little way from where they were...(and where my daughter and I were) our house was struck and it burst out through the eaves on the north side of the roof...repairs had to be made...I think, that after that, was when we got lightening rods put up ...we all have a healthy fear of storms now!

I'm glad your adventure ended with you just being wet!!

Mississippi Songbird said...

I love horses but the only real experience I've had with them was riding on the beaches in Galveston,Texas. My friends and I were riding and a thunderstorm suddenly came up. My friend got thrown from her horse. Mine ran back to the stables as quickly as possible, with me holding on for dear life.
I'm so glad you are okay.. You mustt be an excellent rider..
and so glad that your aunt is doing better.

Tina Leavy said...

sounds like it was a nice run out with the horse.Jazz sounds like a pretty good gal.