Monday, December 29, 2008

EQUINEFEAST 2008

Yesterday on RFD-TV, they were showing the Equinefeast 2008. Did any of you happen to see it? Wasn't there some beautiful horses? Also the horsemanship was awesome. I really enjoyed the shires that was on there. Some of the people who performed had on some beautiful costumes. I would have to say my favorite was non-other than the performance of the cowgirlchicks. The trick riding was breath-taking. Then again, I'm suppose to be partial to the cowgirlchicks, my cousin, Ginger Duke , is one of the riders. She is the blond who rides the black horse. She is also the one who rode double with a girl, while the other girl stood up in the saddle carrying the flag, Ginger was hanging upside down off the back of the horse.
They have just returned from Sweden, and are going to ride in the Rose Bowl Parade New Years day.
Riding horses has been in our family for generations. From rodeoing, to showing, to performing, to making a living dealing with horses. Ginger's Grandmother is a sister to my Grandfather. It's funny how her and I continue to have horses somehow tangled in our lives. Her with her trick riding and me with my barrel racing. And with me being on our drill team. Now grant you, we don't (the drill team) don't perform like Ginger and them do but I have known to do some trick riding of my own. Okay, I'm not trained and I didn't really mean to do the trick-riding, it just happened. Like the time, coming off the third barrel, I landed (my mare blows really hard coming off barrels) in front of my saddle. Yes, I was riding her neck. lol Or the time I went to get on, and the horse took off running with me hanging on the side with one foot in the stirrup and the rest of my body being dragged on the ground. Or the time I had to ride this horse in the show (this was where, the stock handler provided the horses) and I get in with the flag and the horse goes ape-shit, the flag gets wrapped around my head, I couldn't see crap, all I could do was hang on. I did get the flag from around my head, and finally got the horse under control. Or how about last year, I came in with the flag and my horse came thru the gate running backwards, I did get her going in the right direction and the announcer then said ,"now that we are going in the right direction, I would like to present the Army flag." Yup, just another night at a rodeo.lol
If you get a chance, check out Ginger at www.cowgirlchicks.com . After all this time, I'm finally going to get to see Ginger perform in person. My sister, Teisha and I are going in September to Missiouri to watch her and the rest of the girls perform. I am really excited about that. I to talk to Ginger every once in a while, but haven't seen her since my Grandfather passed away 4 years ago. (gosh, it doesn't seem like it's been that long since he passed away). I'm looking fowarded to visiting with her but manily just watching them perform.

6 comments:

Andrea said...

I saw the Cowgirl Chics in Fort Worth not too long ago. They were really good. I was amazed by their trick riding. They are really good!!

I didn't get to see Equine Feast on tv. I alway miss the good things on tv. Sigh.....

My husband used to ride bulls. How old are your boys? I wonder if they know my husband. We live near Lake Charles.

Train Wreck said...

You are on a drill team? So AM I! Cowgirl Chicks.. Yes we get to watch them to get inspired.. WHATEVER! I am NOt riding on the side of my horsed on purpose!! I know all too well about the backwards entrance! Phew, My mare is really fresh. We had to bute, (yep bute) her for one performance. No ace was available at that moment. Turns out she doesn't tolerate Ace very well. Yep I used it on her later. We will see what this next year brings. How fun! You are a drill chica! Happy New year my compadre!

Unknown said...

Wow! You've been busy blogging away while I have been hiding from the snow.

Neck riding huh? Yeah I think I have done that once or twice - on accident of course.

I think all of us cowgirls have at least a couple of ticks in their back pocket!

Tell D - nice gun!

Renie Burghardt said...

Oh, I would have liked to have seen Equinefest 2008! Sorry I missed it.

How exciting about your cousin Ginger. Where in Missouri will you be going?

Happy New Year to you and yours.

Hugs and blessings,

Renie

Mississippi Songbird said...

I'm sorry I missed Equinefest 2008 too.. Sounds like you had a wonderful time...

The trip to Missouri sounds like fun too.I hope you have a Happy New Year!
Bunches of hugs...

.

Tina Leavy said...

oh my gosh Laura..you had me laughing out loud at some of your "mishaps"..sure you aren't a rodeo clown too? LOL
hugs to ya.