Saturday, November 1, 2008

WHAT A FUN DAY..........


I went to a roping the other day for this rodeo friend of mine who has cancer. Ok, I know, I chase cans not steers but this was for Scooter and I just had to do it. I haven't roped in like well.... a long time. It was okay getting in the box, then coming out swinging my rope, throwing, that's a different story. Then if you are heading, it's dally off and turn, turn, TURN, you stupid steer. I prefer coming up the alleyway going to my pocket, setting up for the barrel, WHOA, rating the barrel, getting that nose to the barrel, dropping your inside rein, squeezing with that inside leg, kicking with your outside leg with spur, throwing your reins to your horses head, kicking, going to that second barrel, praying it will stand too, going through the motions again, coming off, kicking and whipping, then it's the last barrel, you set her up, making your pocket just a little wider, pushing her past the barrel before you set her up, WHOA, dropping that rein, squeeze, kick like hell on the outside, then you grab that over and under and go to town with that and spurring, continue on until your horse's head is past the timer then it's sitting deep in your saddle and gathering those reins and pulling back with everything you got to stop and pray that no one is in the alleyway for you know she is gonna dart to the left when you come out. Yea, nothing to it ,chasing cans, but roping, HMMM..... too many people hollaring DALLY, TURN IT LAURA, TURN....T U R N........... too much trouble for me. But it was for Scooter, and Scooter and me go way back. I can remember hauling to rodeos with him and my Grandfather and the rest of my family when I was in grade school. Soo.... I done it for Scooter that's my story and I'm sticking to it.........(I prefer can chasing, I promise I do, hey, make sure my rope is in the trailer, ............

1 comment:

Renie Burghardt said...

Hey Laura,

Well, they both sound pretty exciting to me! I hope they raised some funds for your friend Scooter.

Hugs and blessings for the weekend.

Renie