Sunday, October 21, 2007

JACKSON, TN

Yesterday morning found us getting up at 3 am and loading up to head for another Pony pulling. We arrived about 8 that morning. As the boys were getting the harness on the ponies I decided to look around. Guess what one of their activities were for the day?! A POSSUM RACE. Yes, you heard me right. They were going to have a possum race later that day, this where the kids and adults catch possums and race them to see who has the fastest possum. On top of that, the event where we were at is called the Possum Day Festival, you would think that would have given me a clue. Our time pulled in the first class and even though we got put out, the ponies done real good. We could see a big difference in them since the last pulling. I kept my eyes open for any action on the possum race and just when I thought everyone was pulling my leg, the cages with possums in it where popping up everywhere. So what does nosey-rosey do, I head out to check out the race. There was little kids as young as 5 holding these possums up for everyone to see before the race. They were so proud of their animals. It was way tooooo funny. Here I thought that I had seen it all and done it all in my 40 life span but a possum race, never.(don't worry the animals nor the kids or adults were hurt or mistreated) We got home about midnight last nite and we only have one more pulling then we don't pick back up till March. Thinking I may start a possum race here, for it sure brings out the crowd of people. haha I want to ask all of you to remember a dear friend of mine in your thoughts and prayers. Her son has just been called up. Also remember all of the parents, family and our soliders in your prayers.

7 comments:

Tina Leavy said...

hey there Luara,
They have a possum festival near here every year in a town called Wewahitchika.(Wewa for short)And if memory serves me they even actually have cooked possum chili.Seems the town celebrates it because back during hard times that's what they used to eat.
But they have a parade and a Possum King and Queen contest(see who can look the ugliest in blackened teeth and weird outfits..ha)
In fact back when I was a kid..we had a pet possum for a little while..my brother found it by our back porch..the mom had been killed by a car out front of the house. We raised it for a little while then gave it to an outdoor classroom/zoo type facility that would teach children about Florida wildlife.
My brother used to tote it around on his finger..it would wrap it's tail around his finger and hang down..LOL and he could walk all over the yard with that critter.
Can't believe you hadn't "seen it all" sweety..living in the South as we do. LOL
Have a good weekend.
~Tina

JANET said...

Bout them possums...there once was a Prettiest Possum Contest here back when they had a Cahawba Day Festival. The emcee had a bunch of pet possums, and it was a lot of fun to watch their antics. A lot I didn't know about possums!

Aunt Jenny said...

That was so funny...all the possum stuff..I don't think there are any possum type celebrations here! (more like scandanavian and apple festival type stuff) sounds like a good time!!
I have been sewing all weekend...my form of therapy.

Tracey said...

Alright...a possum race is just too redneck. I love it. I want to hold a possum race up here! I wanna be a redneck!

Oh, and Laura? TAG!!!

Patty said...

I need to hire the fasted possum catcher around, we have one that has avoided every live trap we have and continues to hunt in the chicken house nightly.

Day4plus said...

well I don't think I've seen a live possum. Possum races---too funny.
Why did the chicken cross the road?
To show the possum it could be done. haha
I'm glad you can see the ponies are pulling better. Just takes some experience.
Kylee and her mom have a penning this weekend.
you take care now. MB

Renie Burghardt said...

Hi Laura

That possum race must have been funny to watch. A possum waddle, huh? But some of them can run faster. I've seen them do that. And Pony Pulling sounds like such fun. I'd love to see your team in the pull!

Prayers for our troops and their families.

Blessings,

Renie