Tuesday, September 2, 2008

THE AMERICAN DREAM.....

Has anyone ever told you that you was living the American Dream? I have and I keep looking back to see who exactly they are talking to. Am I living the American Dream? I don't know. What is the American Dream? I believe I read one time where it was to have 2.5 kids. Ok, scratch me on that one, my gosh, there is 6 kids total here, or last time I counted. Anyway, how in the world does one have .5 kids? As far as the A.D. income, ha, I wouldn't even come close. According to the irs, I live below poverty level. I make only a total of 22,000.00 a year and that's on a good year. That's both of our incomes combined. Is that the income for the A.D.? What about cars? How many is the A.D. suppose to have? There is 7 vechiles here. Yup, 7. And sometimes they all won't run at the same time.lol What about houses? What does the A.D. house look like? Mine is just a small 3 bedroom, 2 bath cedar house with clothes, dirty might I add, piled up everywhere. Ok, only in the laundry room but still they are dirty. 3 bedrooms with 6 kids, hmmmm.... can get very interesting around here and some fighting as to who gets the other 2 beds and who gets the couches, recliners and floors. Oh, I have counted 15 people at one time staying the night. Does the A.D. say anything about mucking the stalls, having dirty between your toes, hay stuck in your clothes and hair, goats running everywhere, and I mean everywhere, getting up at 4:30 in the mornings to start the day, milking goats, feeding the horses, then riding the horses, not going out to eat but only and I stress only special occasions? How about having 20, yes, 20 pairs of boots from the back porch to the carport to the front porch to even inside the house? I counted them. What about being out in the field working while everyone else is laying around a pool or some where on vacation? Ok, I have a pool and a hot tub but I don't get to LAY around. Oh what about having 4 boys setting their sights on their guns and scarring the hipie jibbies out of you? Is this life I am living the American Dream? Sometimes I thing it's a nightmare.lol Or a punishment. lol This is the only way of life as I know it so maybe it is the American Dream. I sure don't know any other way of life. Oh sure I dream about having money and going and doing but then reality sets in and I listen and watch other people. I sorta enjoy my life. So if this is the American Dream , damn, I'm doing good.

6 comments:

Aunt Jenny said...

Gosh your place sounds like mine..only without the pool and hot tub..haha.
I think WE are living the American dream. yep. We are.

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

Your place sounds absolutely wonderful to me. I grew up in what started out to be a smaller house (my dad was good at adding on) and a big family. Lots of people, lots of clothes, lots going on, and lots to do.

It's just me and my hubby in a fairly good sized house that we originally bought thinking we might have kids. It gets kinda empty and lonely sometimes. Your place sounds like its full of love as well as people! That's gotta be part of the American Dream somewhere.

Renie Burghardt said...

Laura,

You know, when my grandparents and I came to America, in 1951, as refugees of World War II, we had nothing! Just the clothes on our backs. My grandparents got jobs and worked hard and had a down payment on a house two years later. Nothing fancy, but it was ours, and we did realize the American Dream! We felt that we did.

Your place and family and animals and life style sound wonderful to me, and if you all enjoy it, and it sure sounds like you do, it is your own brand of the American Dream.

More money is always a nice thought, but I often think of the people who don't even have a home, and realize how much I do have, and am grateful for it. I know you are, too!

Didn't mean to make this so long. I get winded sometimes. LOL. Have a blessed weekend with your wonderful family.

Renie

Plowing and Sowing said...

I like your American Dreams. It sounds like that you have raised a great family. Good Post.

Pink Princess said...

Wether or not this is the American Dream, I love the way you live!
Sounds like a normal, happy, regular family life to me.

Hugs from the Netherlands.
Marian/Dutchy from MJF