Monday, September 1, 2008

HURRICANE GUSTAV

As you all know, my son Jon Brandon is on the Coast helping with this hurricane. I haven't talked to him but I have been commucating with him through text messages. He said that they are all bunked in an warehouse with no air or anything. He has been getting up around 3 in the morning and helping with the knock knock program. This is where he goes door to door getting people out of their homes and getting them to shelters. He stated that one man got ugly and told him that he had been their for 35 years and he was not leaving. Last night, they all retreated back to ride the storm out. I do know that they have had alot of tornados during the night and today. My ex- brother-in-law lives down in Gulfport and he lost his house in a tornado last night. His wife and 3 kids were at her parents house in Jackson but he stayed behind. He is fine but according to my ex they lost everything. Jon Brandon sent me a text tonight stating that he was fine and the weather has been rough but everything was ok. They were having some flooding but not like they had thought it would be. He said he didn't know when he would be able to call me but he would just as soon as he has some down time. He said he didn't know when he was coming home but not to worry. Ha, like I'm not going to worry. I'm thankful that things didn't get as bad as they thought. It seems like Gustav was a little calmer than Katrina. I know people down on the coast are still trying to get things rebuilt after Katrina and now it seems like they are having to take several steps back instead of forward. Today the weather here has been cloudy and very windy. We are getting rain now from the storm hopefully there will be no tornados here from it. That's the only thing we have to contend with here where I live is the tornados spawning off of this storm. It looks like for the next 5 days we are going have to deal with alot of rain. Ok, I can deal with that. I think. Jon Brandon, please take care of yourself. I know you are doing your job and I'm very proud of you. I miss you and love you.

5 comments:

Patty said...

stay dry and pray no tornados spawn off of this storm in your area.
About the lanturn care....I take the lamp apart to clean the glass as soon as it gets any soot on it. My lamps get cleaned every week. Trimming the wick just means taking the glass off, turning up the wick (not burning at the time) and clipping the burned part off with some scissors. I trim my wicks with a bit of a slant on the ends, some folks cut straight across.
here is a good link about how to care for your lanturn
http://www.lanternnet.com/lanterncare.htm

Aunt Jenny said...

I will sure keep Jon Brandon in my prayers. I know his job is hard!!! I am very relieved to hear that Gustav was calmer than they thought it would be..I hope it stays that way and not alot of tornados come of it.
You take care and have a great week!!!

Unknown said...

I will keep everyone down there in my prayers - you are right to be proud of your son!

I have a cousin down there working as well - I make sure to tell him every chance I get how proud of him I am.

BClark said...

I hope all stays well with you and yours. These storms are so unpredictable, even with all the new gadgets. We were supposed to have thunderstorms today, but so far no go. We could use a few inches of rain. Stay safe.

Renie Burghardt said...

Laura,

I'm glad Gustav didn't turn out to be as mean as Katrina. We did get some rain out of him as well, and we needed the rain.

Hope Jon Brandon is home safe and sound now.

Renie