Monday, September 29, 2008

WHY IS IT I CRINGE EVERYTIME MY PHONE RINGS......

We have been trying to finish up working in the fields. It's the end of hay season so we have been in the hay field 7 days a week trying to get through. The other day, Jon Brandon and David was in one field finishing bailing. My phone rings, the boys tell me to bring a chain. When I arrive, this is what I seen. As soon as I pull up, here they come a running. Both of them wanting to know if I had talked to my Mom, I tell them no why, they said that she was calling their phones and they wouldn't answer for they didn't want her to know they had buried the tractor and baler. Wasn't but just a few minutes Mom pulls up, seems she was calling to tell them that she was bringing them a snack. We ended up having to get a wrecker out there to pull the tractor out then Jon Brandon had to pull the wrecker out for it got stuck.

5 comments:

ancient one said...

Some days just go haywire don't they... Glad you were able to get the tractor pulled out... (hope there was no charge for the tow truck since you returned the favor..LOL) didn't happen did it? Just get through the rough patches... it will be better another day..

Plowing and Sowing said...

If digital photos had been invented back in the 80's, there would have been a picture that looked very similar to this one only with a 4440 John Deere tractor and a 15' shredder. No mom around, only dad who was none to happy. Instead of getting a tow truck, I had the bright idea of unhooking the shredder and try to spin the tractor out...no luck. My dad had a great idea, that worked, it just was not common. You know how farmers can be engineers. We took cross ties and chained them to the wheels, across the ruts. We took two other smaller tractors and chained them to the front axel. Not to pull but to keep the big tractor from flipping over backwards. When in low gear, the cross ties sucked down into the mud and the back tires were able to sit on top of the cross ties. We had other cross ties that we laid to get me out of the ruts. We unhooked the chains and "fogged it to it". It was a several hour ordeal, one that I will never forget. These times are great learning experiences. Hang in there boys.

Renie Burghardt said...

Oh, my, that looks pretty stuck alright! lol. Hope your days have been better after it got pulled out!

Hugs and blessings,

Renie

Unknown said...

Oooppss! Guess you weren't kiddin when you said buried.

Been there - not with a bailer thank goodness - but with a tractor, what a pain because you know if you are in a tractor and you are stuck - your stuck for real!

Good pictures of the event!

Tina Leavy said...

goodness. seems ya'll must have had quite a bit of rain lately too. glad everything got pulled out.