Saturday, September 20, 2008

TRIMMING HOOFS

I try to keep the goats hoofs trimmed on a regular basis but somewhere along with everything else they got pushed to the side. So.... out came the table, clippers, and trimmers and I went to work. Usually during the summer I keep them body clipped so they don't get so hot. And we know how the temps can climb here in the South. Also when it gets close to the time for them to birth, I try to clip around their, well, their thang.lol I also clip up their tails. On my dairy goats I shave them under their belly so hair won't be falling into the milk bucket. I have found on hoof trimming, that just a good pair of trimmers whether it is garden trimmers or the kind I have , hoof trimmers are the best. I try to make each hoof as even as possible. When one starts trimming , just go at it. It's like cutting your nails. Oh sure, the goat is going to hollar and act like you are killing it but remember goats are drama queens and you are not hurting them. When you are working on their back legs, bring leg straight back never to the side or toward the front for you could break or dislocate their leg. Just keep trimming the nail until you start seeing pink. that's when you stop. The best time to trim is early in the morning after they have been walking on the grass with dew. Sorta makes the nails soft. Believe me, after you have trimmed their hoof, the goats will thank ya.lol

6 comments:

BClark said...

Wow, as always you are one busy bee!! Thank you for the article on trimming the hoofs, I had no idea where to start. I have a catalog from Caprine and they have all kinds of goat stuff. So, I will order some of the clippers. The first time I am going to have the vet do them. After that it looks like I will be good to go. I did build a stand to hold them so I am that much further ahead.

Good for you on the sprucing up in the house, make ya feel good. I am so eager for Jim to finish messing with the walls and ceiling so I can paint and paper. I have it pretty well planned out, so hopefully it will look as good as I dream it will.

Best to you

Unknown said...

Interesting I never really though about having to trim goats feet - but I guess you gotta do it just like anything else.

Learn something new everyday! Thanks!

Tina Leavy said...

hey gal..o.k. so I rubbed off on ya huh? lol..thanks for the info on the Martha blog. I entered the contest..we'll see..he he.ya never know.
the goat hoof trimming looks interesting. have never done that before..shoot have never owned goats before..what are your thoughts on pygmies?..a novelty..or what are your thoughts?dunno if hubby would go for it though.
hey are ya gonna join the seed exchange over at my blog? would love to have a few more folks sign up.
hugs to ya, have a great week.
Tina

ancient one said...

Seems like I heard my husband say something about trimming one of the goat's hooves recently. After reading your directions, I started wondering if he knows about the back leg?... he must.. we don't have any lame goats out there...All of the animals belong to him... I like people best..

Mississippi Songbird said...

Ouch.. That looks painfuil, but I guess it's more pain for them if you don't..
I hope you are enjoying this wonderful Mississippi fall weather..Bunches of hugs....

Renie Burghardt said...

Laura,

That does look painful! If you don't trim, do the hooves get too long or what? I mean, deer, who are cousins to goats, never get their hooves trimmed and are just fine. lol. I'm just curious. It looks like a pretty hard job, because I would guess they don't just stand still and let you do it without some sort of protesting.

But I learned something new, that's for sure.

Take care and God bless!

Renie