Tuesday, November 6, 2007

9 MORE DAYS........

Just 9 more days till JB comes home. YIIPPEE!!!!!!!! The last word that we got from him was that he would be in the field for several days and wouldn't be able to write or call but would be back at base Nov 13 and then fly home on Nov 15. We will have our Thanksgiving a few days early for I plan on fixing a fest that day. I have a lot to be thankful for this year. JB coming home, JB getting engaged, and this will be the first one in a long time that all the kids have been together. I have been busy trying to get my things done for the home makers open house which is Wednesday. I have made alot of cinnamon ornaments , rag rugs, soap and salt dough ornaments that I have painted. Here is the recipe for salt dough ornaments:
2 cups of all- purpose flour
1 cup of salt
1 cup of water
Mix together, roll out onto a flour board , use your favorie cookie cutters, then put onto a cookie sheet and bake at 325 for about 20 to 30 minutes until hard. Let cool, then paint. I also spray my finished ornament with varnish. Oh, make sure you make a hole in the ornament with a straw before baking. I would love some raw milk recipie for soap. The one that I'm using , I have to heat my milk before I make soap. Would love for you to share your thoughts and recipe with me. Also would love to hear on things that you make for Christmas.
I'm also making mini-cakes in canning jars. This is where you mix up your cakes, pour into jars , bake, then when taken out of oven, place lids and rings and they seal up. Good and moist for 1 year. Yes, when you break the seal they slide out of jars. I won't tell you what the boys call them.

7 comments:

Tina Leavy said...

hey Luara, glad that JB is coming for a visit soon. I know you'll have a lovely visit. the dough ornaments sound neat. I'll have to make up some of those with the kids. thanks for sharing the recipe.
hope you have a good week.
hugs,
Tina

Renie Burghardt said...

Dear Laura,

I'm so very happy for you! I know you're counting the days until JB is home again.

My daughter and family are coming here November 18th, for a week. I can't wait to see them. They live 700 miles from me, so it's always such a treat to have them here. We will be celebrating Thanksgiving together, and my 71st birthday! Yes, I'm an oldie but goodie. Hehe.

Thank you for the recipe for the salt dough ornaments. Have to give those a try. And I think my granddaughters will love to try them as well.

Have a wonderful week, as you get ready for JB's homecoming.

God bless, and much happiness to you and yours.

Renie

Aunt Jenny said...

How exciting that he will soon be there!!
I love making cinnamon ornaments..should do that soon. I have been doing the hand quilting on a few Christmas quilts..small simple ones that will be gifts. We will keep one throw size one for our house but I havn't quilted it yet..I better get myself in gear...Christmas time is coming fast. I am so excited to be going out to visit my big boys next week..leaving on Monday morning..will see them all that afternoon!!!

Beemoosie said...

Oh you must be be-side yourself happy that JB is coming home!! I'm happy for you!
Can you believe we have snowflakes in the air up here already!!??
~Blessings!

JANET said...

Wow! You have been really busy! So glad you will have all the family together for an early Thanksgiving.
BTW, those jar cakes sound interesting. Never heard of that.

Day4plus said...

I am so excited for you that your son is coming home SOON!! YAY!!
Dave is not well and is going into hospice....he understands and it is what he wants but it still is sad. MB

Whitney said...

I would love some pictures of your jar cakes. They sound very interesting!! What cake mix do you use? How much and in what size jars? How long do you cook them?