Monday, November 26, 2007

What the hell is this.......

I have this problem and it costing me money. I don't know how to cure this problem. I don't really know exactly what causes it either. This problem started,well, probably before I was even born. My Mom had the problem, several in her family had it, my Grandfather had, and there at one time one of my kids had it. Heck, Mom has several off springs that has this problem. I don't know if it is the smell of manure or exactly what causes it. There is just something about this that causes my hands to itch, my heart to race, my legs to quiver, and my mind goes way out there. There is just something about getting loaded up(hint,hint for those of you who are trying to guess what I got) and hitting the road. It's the smell of the popcorn that is popping, the smell of the dirt, the smell of leather, the feel of saddling your horse, it's the way your heart pumps at the start of the Grand Entry, listening to the National Anthem being sung, it's those damn ole cowboys in those tight fitting wranglers( lord, those wrangler butts just drive me nutts). It's watching your favorite ropers trying to rope that steer in a time under 7 seconds, its warming your horse up and waiting at the gate for your name to be called and hearing the crowd roar for their favorite cowboy and cowgirl. It's gathering around with your sisters on horses and praying and hollering for them when they go through the gate. It's the feel of your own heart beating, thinking just anytime it's going to bust out of your chest, it's socking your ole hat down over your ears and tighten up the stampede string so you don't loose your hat, it's feeling your horse's heart beating just like yours. You can actually feel your horse getting ready to go in and performing in front of hundreds of people. It's hearing your name call and you grab the reins and holler to your horse,"Let's show 'em how to do it". It's heading toward that first barrel , then to the second, reaching down to grab your over-an-under(whip that hooks on your horn) and smacking till you get to the third barrel, when you round that third one, you are looking for the gate and then you are riding like you stole it. Whipping, spurring, and hollering for your horse to carry you out. It's looking back and seeing all three barrels still standing. Hearing the crowd whoop and holler for you had a great time. It's then going out, cooling your horse down, loosening the girth and giving her a treat and a little tender loving care. It's going back in and seeing your family and friends who have come out to support you . It's looking at kids and adults who look at you thinking, "Man, I sure wish I could do that" or maybe," When I grow up, I'm going to do that." It's going behind the bucking shoots and watching your little bull rider getting ready. He is over there putting on the chaps, taping up his pants leg and tightings the straps on his spurs. It's the smell of fear and enjoyment. It's watching your love one climb over into the shoot with a 2000lb bull that is ready to kill. It's the pounding of your heart and the tears that you shed watching and praying that he will have a safe and good ride. It's hollering till you loose your voice when the shoots open and your rider comes out a bucking, and a spinning. Sometimes he will ride till the horn and sometimes it is just to much for him. Just as long as he can get up and walk out. So you see, I do have a problem and it started long before I came into this world. What's my problem you ask, why IT'S THAT DAMN OLE RODEO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

5 comments:

Karen H. said...

Good Evening Laura,
Dang Girlfriend, you sure do know how to tell a good rodeo story there. My heart was a beating and pounding like I was right there with you. Them "DAMDED OLD RODEOS". Gotta Love them Rodeos. Girl, you are making me want to go to a rodeo now. LOL. There is a family here in town that does the rodeos and stuff like that. You may have heard of them. Last names are Emery. They are bigtime into the rodeos. Well, they used to be. Their daughter used to ride alot but she is married now. I don't know if she still does or not. In fact, my oldest daughters basketball coach's daughter does some rodeoing also. They go out of state and do theirs. I think they have been to Colorado and other places. Their daughter is the same age as my oldest daughter, 11. Her mother was brought up in rodeos also. They have just started having the rodeo here in our town on the 4th of July again the last couple of years. We always go to it. I don't have the nerve or patience to try anything like that. LOL. I'm a big old baby. And bullriding, oh girl, me and hubby loves to watch that. It is dangerous, but is sure is good to watch it tho. I so admire all the brave men and women that do that. They have alot more guts than I do. LOL. Well now, you still doing the contest thing? You gonna have to let us know something cause the suspense is killing me here. LOL. I just got home from the basketball game a bit ago. I am all wired up. I will post about it tomorrow. It will probably be after midnight before I can go to sleep. Take care my friend and have a Blessed night. May God Bless You and Yours. It is always so nice to hear from you.

Hugs,
Karen H.

Karen H. said...

It's me again,
LOL, them there tight fittin' jeans. Girl, I am drooling here. LOL. I Love a man in tight fittin' jeans with a Cowboy hat on!!!! They are the sexiest men on earth. (SHHH, don't tell hubby I said that now, LOL, he would be mad at me.) Okay, I will go for now before I get too carried away. Take care my friend.

Hugs,
Karen H.

Day4plus said...

You said it all!! Right on. MB

Renie Burghardt said...

What an exciting account of rodeo's, Laura! You and your family sure know how to have fun. I enjoyed reading all about it.

Blessings,

Renie

Tina Leavy said...

hey Laura,
yep..love a rodeo.hope you are doing good. gee, o.k. I'm gonna try guessing this "mystery item" one more time then I give up..is it a harness?