Saturday, December 22, 2007

I believe that I'm still alive. There were days when I wondered. lol This crud that I have got has decided to hang around for awhile. It has been passed from one family member to another and then makes it rounds again. The weather here has been wet and cold. The mud makes feeding time rough and the cold makes it miserable. The other day I noticed one of my goats coughing. After checking to see if she had fever, I figured it was just a cold. So I gave her a dose of penn. and gave her 2 ccs of childrens cough medicine. Yes, I give my goats over the counter children's medicine. Some of you may be questioning that move but hey, it works for me and that is what I stick to. Vets would be having a fit if they knew. I know my cuz(the vet) fusses at me all the time. I also went on and doctored the rest of the herd so maybe I caught the stuff in time before every one of them gets sick. With show goats one has to be very careful what they give their goats. I can not injected my goats so every thing is given by mouth. Alot of medicines has long withdrawl times and with over the counter meds, the withdrawl time is very short with the goats. I do write down every thing that is given to my goats and come show time, when the people read my health papers, I do get strange looks. The one and only thing I don't do on the health papers is write down everything I feed. Hey, this is competition, I can't be given all of them hints. Okay, you have twisted my arm. Here is how I feed my show goats. I feed medicated feed, to a 50lb bag, I mix 2 scoops of whole corn, and 2 scoops of black sunflower seeds. So, they are getting a high protein and this really puts the weight on them But it also means more work out time for them for I don't want fat on them, I need muscle. That is why, they either get worked pulling, or on the treadmill. You heard me, a treadmill. I found this one at a yardsale for $1.00. It still works good and does the job. It takes awhile for the goats to understand they have to walk instead of laying down and getting thrown. I let them walk at a normal pace for 20 mintues then let them trot for 10. I have been doing this for a couple of years and found out this is the way to go. Want so funny entertanment just put a goat on a treadmill. If you go this route, remember, NEVER NEVER leave a goat unattended. They could very easily hang theirselves or seriously injury theirselves.

3 comments:

Karen H. said...

Good Morning Laura,
I recieved your email and I want to "Thank You" for it. It was so glad to hear from you. I'm sorry yall have been fighting that crud. It just doens't like to go away. It has been fairly warm here the last couple of days. We are suppose to have some Thunderstorms today. I hope it don't get to severe tho. It is 55 degrees as I'm typing this. I didn't get up till 10:30a.m. LOL. Me and hubby watched t.v. till 3:30a.m. LOL. I've never heard of giving goats or any animals children's meds before. But hey, if it works for you, then I say go for it. I bet that is a funny sight to see the goats starting out on a treadmill. I've never heard of that either. How many show goats do you have? And to find a treadmill that still works for only $1.00, girlfriend, you got a steal there. You are going to have to take some pictures of your show goats and other animals you have and show them to us. Well, I'm just now having my first cup of coffee for the day. LOL. Take care my friend and have a great Saturday. May God Bless You and Yours. I will keep you son and your whole family in my prayers. "CONGRATULATIONS" on the soon to be engagement and upcoming wedding.

Love & Hugs,
Karen H.

Aunt Jenny said...

Okay....I would LOVE to see that!! Goats on a treadmill would be entertainment I would love more than about anything I bet. I would have to try it out for the sheep, the cow, all of them...haha.
I hope you and your family have a wonderful Christmas!!

Tina Leavy said...

hey, that would be funny to see the goats going on the treadmill.
so sorry that you have had the "crud".
Merry Christmas to you.