Sunday, December 2, 2007

One right, two left, and then home......

Yesterday found me at Pontotoc for the NBHA show. I was runner number 59. I had a crappy run. We hit the first barrel , rocked the second and I told Dass just go on and get the third. Our time was slow and after I had hit the barrel we ended up with a no-time. So....I ended up just giving them $26 for that run. My neice, Sam, hit 2 barrels and she was upset just like I was. I told her not to worry, that was just practice for us , that we would kick tale later on that night. I left the ag center at 4:30, ran by the house to pick up Kyle and Emily. We left there and headed to Houston for the rodeo. I had been there for about 30 mintues when my neice and her dad arrived. Later on everyone else showed up, there was, Lamar, Kasey, David, Josh, Amber and her friend, Theus, Micheal, Charity, Mo, Issac, Amye, Paul, Cee Cee, my sister Jen , JB, Abbye and Brian who rode in the bull riding. Yes, me and Sam had our very own cheering section. Brian was the first one up. He rode the crap out of the bull. He ended up winning the bull riding with a score of 72. JB and Kyle helped pull his ropes. Brian later told me he could hear me yelling over everything else. Yep, I do have a loud mouth.lol Then it was time for my sport. There was 18 runners in the barrels. The first runner's horse fell with her on the first barrel. That really shook me up for I knew the ground was deep. Sam and I rode off so we couldn't see for I was already getting nervous and needed to regroup. She went in before me and hit the second barrel she came out with a time of 15.3 plus 5 added for the knocked over barrel. Then it was my turn. I turned Dass around and spurred and away we went. Going into the first barrel, she slipped with me, I thought we was going down, but I did jerk her head up and then I yelled for her to get up and to the second we went. When we came out of the second, that is when the riding started. I spurred and hollered all the way to the third. When I felt her rating that barrel, I was looking for the gate, spurring, and slapping her to get out of there. I didn't know what my time was but I knew that we just had a hellva run. I have a hard time stopping her but when we did get stopped I got off and walked her back to where Lamar was and that was when I heard my time. It wasn't the best but it was a good one. I actually rode the fire out of my mare. We wasn't a rider and a horse , we was one. I had a time of 15.2. I ended up in 8th place and they only pay the top 5 so that knocked me 3 places out of the money. I out rode my neice. Gottcha Sam!!! Sam and I laughed and hugged and she told me that she had a good time even though she knocked over a barrel. JB then came outside and found me and told me that my run looked really good. Wait, JB just gave me praise?!. Don't get me wrong, he always hollers for me but never, never, said if it was good or not. I have run at several pens so much that I can nearly tell you what my time is going to be. I do know that Houston I run usually 16.3 or 16.5 and I turned a 15.2. Yeah, my mare gave me a hellva of a ride.

9 comments:

Karen H. said...

Good Morning Laura,
Sorry for the loss at Pontotoc. But you did better at Houston. Speaking of Houston, girl I thought you were going to Houston, Texas. LOL. I had no idea there was a Houston, MS. LOL. I learn something new everyday. We all have bad days at things, but maybe next time you will do better. I'm glad everyone had a good time yesterday. Well now, your little boy has grown into a young man and he has learned to compliment you. It is a cloudy morning here and I just got up and am having my coffee. Take care my friend and have a great Sunday. May God Bless You and Yours.

Hugs,
Karen H.
P.S. How did JB do on the bull riding?

BClark said...

Good for you Laura, I have never done the barrel racing. I always wanted to, but I get the thrill anyway. I saw your comment in Garden Goose about the goats, so came over to check it out. Glad I did, I love seeing people out there taking chances and really living life. Nice to meet you,

Barbara

Renie Burghardt said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Renie Burghardt said...

Hey, Laura,

I just messed up my post and had to delete it, so am starting over. This one better come out good.

You did great in Houston! Your telling it made is so exciting, and I'm sure it was. I don't know all that much about barrel racing and rodeo's, but it sounds like a mixture of fun and excitement. And I bet you can really holler loudly! Lol.

I enjoyed reading about it all. Thank you for sharing the excitement.

Christmas Blessings,

Renie

JANET said...

Congratulations on the Houston race. I can't imagine barrel racing! Have a wonderful week!

Aunt Jenny said...

Sounds like you had alot of fun and a great cheering section..what a day, right???? Have a great week!!!!

ancient one said...

You did well! I was watching the rodeo on TV this afternoon and some of the best times were 11 + so your score wasn't far off those.

Watching the barrell racers is always fun!

Day4plus said...

Dontcha just love it when the whole crew hangs at the house. Used to be that way too when the kids were still at home. Like you said you know where they are and who they are with. It also means that the parents aren't so bad either. haha.
You might have been out of the money but you sure turned a good time. There's always a next time. MB

Tina Leavy said...

congratulations to both you and Brian. sounds like a really fun day. so glad all your crew were there.