Thursday, May 8, 2008

I have been running on about 3 hours of sleep here the past couple of days. My toggenburg goat Lady went into labor Monday night about 8 and stayed in labor until 2 am Wednesday morning. There at one time I honestly thought I was fixing to loose her. I had to help her deliver her babies and that's something I don't like to do. I try to let them do it theirselves but there was no way she could. ONe of the babies was turned wrong and after 2 hours of pushing I was finally able to see that the first goat was turned wrong , so after I turned it she delivered. The first little one was a lil billy but he was dead, then out popped a little nanny and the third one was a nanny. Boy I was shocked for the past couple of years she(Lady) has always had just one. She is such a good little mama. She just kisses on them and then runs to me and gives me kisses. I'm having to milk her out and give them a bottle for her tits are way to big to go into their mouths. Hopefully in another week they will have growed and able to suck on her.
Tessa and me made another batch of soap. I don't even know what the name of the scent was that we used but it reminded me of summer. You know, how that sweet fruitty kind of smell. It turned out really nice and has a yellow color to it. Then after I got the kitchen cleaned up I had to put up my strawberries. I had a gallon of berries that my Mom got for me yesterday at the Amish so I made jelly out of some of them. I ended up with 7 jelly jars of that. By that time it was already after 9 and the babies had to have another feeding. I finally made it to bed about 11 after I got through feeding and cleaning up the bottles and myself. The next thing I knew the alarm was going off at 4;30 this morning. Just another day to to start all over again.

3 comments:

Renie Burghardt said...

Wow, Laura, you have been a busy lady! I'm glad you were able to help Lady. She is a sweet looking nanny, if she is the little black and white one I saw in the picture you posted earlier.

I bought some Goats & Baby Oats Milk and Honey soap from a friend, the other day, and it smells heavenly! Nothing like some home made soap!

I enjoy reading your posts about life on the farm. Take care and have a great day!

Blessings,

Renie

Grand Life said...

Thanks for dropping by my blog and leaving a nice comment. I'll be looking forward to visiting you often. Have a great week.
Judy

Mississippi Songbird said...

Oh, sounds like you were busy.. I bet she will be a good mommy though.. God bless you for helping her..
I hope all of you are okay after that tornado in Tupelo this morning.. I havn't seen any photos yet, but they said so far, they don't think anyone is hurt. We have teams going out now( I work for state farm..)I hope you all are okay.. Stay safe...