Tuesday, May 13, 2008

I hope that you all had a wonderful Mother's day. I enjoyed my day very much. Didn't do very much but cook and wash clothes. Kasey is in the process of building a house here in front of us, so all the guys helped with getting the dirt work done. We borrowed my Dad's bulldozer and have really made a big dent of the hill that has to be leveled off. Monday found us trying to get back in the groove of our routine like every Monday does. I'm trying to get up a benefit horse show for this couple that has been hit hard with medical bills. The husband has been in the hospital off and on for 2 weeks, last Friday he had surgery where they removed some of his colon and now is with a bag. He will need further surgery in about 6 to 8 weeks. They have no insurance so me and some of my family are trying to help them. So yesterday and today have found us doing some phone calling and trying to get the plans in motion. I have rented the ag center here in Pontotoc for June 7 for the horse show. We will also have an auction and a concession stand all money will be given to the Daniels family.
Brian and I got the garden completely planted yesterday. Woo-hoo Was glad to get that done. Brian also helped me with all the feeding and milking while David worked his ponies. David will graduate from high school next week. For those of you who don't know, David is 19 and isn't 5 feet tall and weighs 70 lbs. He looks like he is 12. David is my special special kid. He has been in special classes since the 2nd grade. He has trouble reading and writting. I'm very protected when it comes to him. When David started school and I seen he had trouble, I denied it. I wouldn't accept that something was wrong with him. Let me tell ya, when you have a child that isn't like your other children it is a hard pill to swallow. My faith has been tested with him and his problem and I have learned how to have patience. I do push David more and sometimes don't cut him any slack but I know that I want him to thrive and have a life. I know that the world and life is going to be hard for him but I want him to understand that no matter what kind of disabilities one has, one can make it. I want him to have and live his 'normal' life. People outside the family is mean and cruel, there will always be stares and comments but I want David to show them that he is normal and can make a life. I have seen my child cry and not understand why he is treated this way. Going through school without friends, not being able to do like the other kids, and it's not only kids it's adults too. I wasn't able to go on school property for 6 months one time cause at a ballgame I got into a fight with another mother. She made a snide comment,"What's wrong with that kid? Is he retarded or something?" I was sitting in front of her and when she said that I just turned around and said no, but you are fixing to be. I was able to get a few good licks in before we got broke up. Was I sorry I did that? No!!!!
Life is hard and cruel no matter who one is.

6 comments:

Kim Campbell said...

Honey, she deserved to have the snot beaten outta her!

I do not know what is wrong with people today. I can see a small chalid saying that because they do not know better, but an adult? Even if I did that as a child I would have been given a what for about saying things.

Grrrr! She sucks! Man, that chaps my hide.

I love ya girl!

Renie Burghardt said...

Laura,

I agree with Kim. That woman deserved a punch in the mouth! People can be so cruel. Your David is lucky to have you for his Mama.

Good luck with the horse show. I hope you make a good amount to donate to the Daniels family. You're a good person!

Have a great day!

Blessings,

Renie

Mississippi Songbird said...

Some people are just ruthless and mean.. My prayers are with david and also with the husband that had the colon surgery..
God Bless you for all that you do..
You are a Steel magnolia!
Bunches of hugs...

Beemoosie said...

Laura, I just love you doll!!! Good for you, if all parents would care and/or take the initiative for their kids like that what a better world this would be!

ancient one said...

That was so rude. My preacher always says don't make fun of people.. they are the way GOD made them. If I'd been there, I probably wouldn't have been able to throw a punch, but I might have been able to pull her hair...

Tina Leavy said...

hey there Laura,
gosh you have been busy. I really hope that the horse show benefit goes really well.
good luck to Kasey with the house building. I know you must be proud of your son David for all of the accomplishments he has made..I'm sure he will do well. After all he has a good mama to back him up and encourage him along the way.
love ya girl.
Tina