Thursday, May 8, 2008

TORNADIC THURSDAY........

This morning when I went out to feed my little newborn baby goats the weather was very warm and quite sticky. I knew I had heard on the radio that we could have some more bad weather but I didn't know it was going to be like last Friday. I went on to work this morning and someone said that the weather was getting bad so I stepped outside to see. I actually watched the tornado form above us. I was just in shock. I just stood there. My sister Teisha then said that we was under a tornado warning but the sirens here never went off. The radio was giving off tornado warnings for Pontotoc (where I live) and for Tupelo. Then we heard that it(the tornado) was on the ground at the airport. It jumped around for awhile. Scruggs the place where I buy everything from my clothing to feed to tack was hit. There is some damage in Tupelo but as of right now there is no injuries. Thank God. I recieved a text message that was sent to me with the tornado hitting scruggs. Talk about something scarey yet amazing to watch.
As I was sitting at work, I got to thinking about how we rush around trying to get to work or just to here and yonder and I felt like a hamster in a wheel just running my legs off and not getting anywhere. A co-worker next to me was talking about how she wished she had stayed at home with her kids instead of coming to work. Got my mind to spinning again. This is one of the ones that I posted about earlier and I just looked over there at her and asked her exactly why was she working. She said so she and her kids to have things. Seems like we(myself included) is too busy making a living that we make no life. We think that we have to have this and that and our kids have to have more than we did growing up. We end up spending all our time working and not enough time with our kids and family. Do our kids really want that new video game or do they just want our time? Or are we buying those things for our kids to keep them occupied or to cover up our guilt of not just spending time with them? This storm really made me stop and look at things alittle differently.

4 comments:

Renie Burghardt said...

Laura,

You've really had your share of scary weather in your area. Thank the Good Lord no one was hurt! It's hard to know what to do, to work to buy things, or stay at home and give the kids our time. In todays economy, it's almost a must to have a bit more income coming in. But if one can do it, I'm sure staying at home would be the best thing for the kids.

Oh, well, didn't mean to make this comment so long. I'm glad you're all okay. We only had rain around here, and lots of it!

Take care, and lets hope there won't be anymore scary weather to worry about.

Have a good evening.

Renie

Beemoosie said...

So glad you are safe! I agree with you. And it seems so many people are working for someone else, to make that someone else wealthy! It is sad to think about. And to work in a school and hear the conversations kids have, most parents just don't know what their kids are up to. Which is even sadder.
But it's most happy to know you are doing well, despite all the excitement!!
Blessings!
Bon

BClark said...

Oh, I am so glad you are alright, bad weather is so scary. We had a mini tornado come through blowing stuff all over the place. I was headed for the basement and trying to round up the cats and dog as it went over. Other then lots of tree limbs down we are fine.
You are so right about the time we spend working and for what. I did the same when my two oldest were little, now I so regret it. More of me would have made a big difference. I have a brother in law who is fighting cancer, he has the big house and cars but not his health. I can remember his wife saying she wanted him to retire so they could travel, but he kept working. I pray like crazy that he will be alright. Best to you, Barbara

Patty said...

I just hate storm season. Our sirens have gone off at least 4 times in 8 weeks.
I am all for having less and staying home if you can. If you are just working for things, then the things will define you, own you and in the end consume you.