Monday, May 5, 2008

I hear everyone talking about how things are going to be and what they are going to do if we have another depression or resession. Well, someone forgot to tell us here at 2lmzfarms that we wasn't in it anymore.lol Today I just stopped and thought about my life where I came from, and where I am at today. All my life I have lived on a farm. We grew all our food it came out of our garden and we even slaughtered our own meat. We had a t.v and could only pick up one channel but who had time to watch t.v. When I was a teenager and in high school, I would listen to the other kids talk about going uptown and riding around. I done my riding around on a tractor or a horse. My days were filled with farming during the summer, crushing corn and feeding in the winter. Then I married a dairy farmer. My days then were filled with milking cows, tending to the calves and having kids. When that marriage dissolved I found myself doing the same ole things I had done all my life. Tending to animals and growing a garden. When I got remarried, I married a man that didn't really know squat about farming so I took hold of the wheel and carried on. I stop and look back and wonder did I miss not having all the coolest toys or the right clothes or even having a new car. Did I screw up my kids lives for not buying every little toy or game that hit the market? As I hear people talk about they just don't know what they are going to do or even how they are going to buy food for their family. I just sit back and smile. I know things are going to get tougher but there is one thing about it. Thanks to my raising, I'm going to survive. I know how to doctor on my animals, know how to plant a seed and watch it grow then put it up for the winter, how to sew, how to make homemade bread, how to make soap, how to take my ponies and harness them up and hook them to the wagon, even know how to do my goats the same way. I know that I'm a survivor and I'm passing it on to my kids. they don't need all this material stuff to entertain them. So... the question is did I miss anything considering the way I was raise? No, but sorry to say I'm afraid some of the people are the ones that missed it.

1 comment:

Renie Burghardt said...

I know how to survive as well, because I already have survived a lot. And you are right, you will be fine if things get real tough, cause you have already survived tough times and made it. You are a lucky one, actually. Lets hope and pray we never get into anything that bad! Meanwhile, maybe I should get myself a couple of goats, just in case!

Blessings, Laura.

Renie