Saturday, May 3, 2008

OH WHAT A NIGHT....

All day yesterday, the weatherman was saying our neck of the woods could be in for a rough night. There was storms all over to the west of us coming across the Mississippi River and these storms could and would produce tornados. At 2 yesterday afternoon, we was put under a tornado watch. Now remember, back in 2001 we had a F5 come through Pontotoc and there was 6 people that lost their lives and the tornado hit my Mom's house, my sister's house and our house took a direct hit. There was 5 people on the next street that lost their lives. So, I have already rode one tornado and personally don't care to ride another one. I was nervous as a long sore tail cat in a room with rockers. I stayed glued to the tv watching and waiting. Even the animals knew something was in the air. Then it started. It showed New Albany was being hit. My middle sister lives there. I started calling and Jennifer then told me that she was headed to our Mom's house and that her husband was staying home. Later she called and said that Barry watched the tornado come thru. They didn't have damage other than trees down but not to far from them there was major damage. Wasn't too long after that, BAM, here comes another one. And this second one traveled the same path nearly as the first one. I don't know right now of any injuries. About 2 this morning we got hit. I was scared, I'm not going to lie about it. We lost power for there was trees down on our street and it took out powerlines but thank God that was it. I finally laid down at 4 this morning and was back up at 6. Northeast Mississippi took a pounding last night and I know that it could have been worse. As always after a storm there is a rainbow. This morning is beautiful, sun shinning, birds are singing, and we all are feeling very blessed to wake up this morning and continue on with our daily lives.

2 comments:

Karen H. said...

Good Afternoon Laura,
I was wondering about you and your Family when I saw on the news that New Albany got hit the other evening. We didn't get hit here, but it did hit near by in a town called Etowah, AR. In fact, I have an Aunt that lives in the community that got hit, but they are okay and had no damage to their place. Arkansas has sure had it's time of all kinds of weather this year from tornadoes to snow to floods and now more tornadoes. There has even been some small earthquakes along the New Madrid fault which we live on. I haven't felt any of them tho because they have been small, but I just know one of these days it's going to open wide up and swallow us up. I don't blame you for being scared one bit. The last time that Jonesboro got hit by a tornado back in the 70's, we were camping not far from there. Our camper shook pretty good. Ever since then, I have always been scared to death of severe weather. I'm just glad you and your Family are okay. You can always replace material things, but you can't replace a life. I think there has been 7 people killed here in Arkansas from the tornadoes on Friday. "CONGRATULATAION'S" to JB for finally popping the question. You will have to keep us updated and let us know when the wedding will be. I have had a bad toothache this past week and I'm still taking antibiotics and it's still hurting some. I sure hope the antibiotics help it. I've also been taking Iboprofen to help with the pain as well. Take care my friend and have a great afternoon. May God Bless You and Yours.

Love & Hugs,
Karen H.

Renie Burghardt said...

Oh, Laura, how scary! We were under a tornado watch Friday, but only got torrentail rains out of it. They say we got 80 percent of a years worth of rain around here in the past three months. The area was flooded twice this spring, but this last time there were only flash floods.

Thank the Lord you were all okay!

I'm kind of late reading, but I thought about you and Stephanie when I heard about tornadoes in Mississippi.

Take care!

Renie