Sunday, February 24, 2008


This is me and Brian made before the rodeo last night at Ashland. Brian drew a bull that he has drawn 8 times before and hasn't been able to ride him. When he came out of the chutes last night, he was able to ride him for about 4 or 5 jumps and I just knew he was going to ride the full 8 seconds. Then something went wrong. Off he came and landed on his neck. I was frozen in place. I couldn't move. I could tell he had like a daze look on his face. Brian made it back to behind the chute and loaded his things and headed outside. When I was able to get to him, he looked at me and said for me to take him home. He was in pain on the ride home , after I got him home he said that he was bad sore. He went to bed and I checked on him several times in the night and this morning he said he was fine. That is just one of the chances one takes when rodeoing. I'm telling ya, its hard standing in the stands and watching your loved one climb on the back of a bull that has the look of kill in their eyes. When the chutes open, you are standing their praying and not breathing for you know not what is going to happen. You have tears streaming down, your knees are weak and your heart is pounding. Afterwards when they get up and walk away, you let out a great big sigh of relief and a prayer of thanks. Then you are ready to hug them and at the same time choke the crap of them until their eyeballs pop out.But one knows that is the life of rodeoing.

7 comments:

Karen H. said...

Good Morning Laura,
That is a good picture of you and Brian. "PRAISE GOD" he wasn't hurt badly. I imagine he will be sore for a few days tho. It is a chance one takes when rodeoing like you said. I can't begin to feel what you feel when your loved ones are riding. All you can do is watch and pray for them. Take care my friend and have a great day. May God Bless You and Yours.

Love & Hugs,
Karen H.

Mississippi Songbird said...

What a great picture!I'm so glad he's okay..
Since rodeo is so dangerous, I'm like Karen, It's all I can do to just sit there and pray..
Have a wonderful day!

Tina Leavy said...

oh my..so glad that he was fine. you had me scared for that boy/man when I started reading this. hope he didn't injure any discs in his neck.
hey..lotsa drawings over on my blog..added 2 more for a total of 3 for Leap yr. celebration.
gosh am sore today,been painting ceiling in son's room,overhead back and forth,holding my ars over my head half the day..ha. aww well..when it gets done will be worth it,:0)
hope you have a good week,
hugs,Tina

BClark said...

Happy Day Laura,
I am so glad Brian is alright, did they do x-rays to make sure nothing is out of joint? I have neck and back problems from all kinds of things and it sure isn't fun. As I have mentioned I was really active when younger. That included falling out of trees, out of cars, off bikes, horses and motorcycles. Add in a few instances of having my car run into and the end result is lots of aches,lol. Thank you for all your visits and kinds words, a visit from a welcome friend. The only soap recipes I have are for big batches so would love your smaller one. I think that would be a good place to start and thank you for sharing. Hope your have a dry day so you and your horse can play.
Best to you, Barbara

Beemoosie said...

What a beautiful picture! I'll be praying for you all! Whew, I have a hard time watching my two play sports...I don't know how I'd handle what you watch!

Whitney said...

I wouldn't be able to stand it! I am so glad he didn't break his neck but I wouldn't blame you if you broke it for him!! LOL.

Do you ever get to Virginia to ride?

Renie Burghardt said...

My goodness, Laura, that must have been scary! Thank the Good Lord Brian is okay. Great picture of the two of you.

Blessings,

Renie