Tuesday, April 8, 2008

CALLING ALL FARMGIRLS.......LET'S TIE ONE ON


I believe there is a farmgirl in each and everyone of us. Regardless if we live out in the country or right in the middle of a city. When one hears the word of farmgirl, it might take one back to wonderful memories of our grandparents as it does me. My Grandmother, Mama Jack, always wore an apron. This was her apron. It is made from flour sacks that she sewed together. Out of all my aprons this one is my favorite. It seemed everytime I wore that apron I would recieve a letter from my son when we was gone in the military. This apron wiped the tears from my face when I would read his letters. I often wondered when Mama Jack wore it, if it wiped the tears off her face reading letters from my Dad when he was in the military, or wiped the sweat off her face when she was doing outside chores, or held eggs when she gathered, or held clothes pin when she would hang out clothes. This apron is old and ragged but holds alot of wonderful memories for me. Yes, I'm going to pass this on to my daughter one day. Wonder what wonderful memories it will hold for her and what wonderful memories it will gather from her.
If you would like to connect with other farmgirls just like yourself pop on over to http://www.maryjanesfarm.org . This is special place where one can dream and also get some helpful tips from down on the farm whether it is with animals, families, cooking or crafting. So... why don't you join in the fun.

8 comments:

Tina Leavy said...

oh Laura! I love the apron!you are so lucky to own your grandmas apron. thanks so much for joining in the blog-a-thon fun.hugs,Tina

Renie Burghardt said...

What a nice apron, Laura, and so special, since it belonged to your grandma. I'll check out the farm girl site, but I don't have an apron. My grandma used to wear one a long time ago. Unfortunately, we don't have anything from those days, because when we left Hungary, we left with nothing. I do wish I had her apron though.

Blessings,

Renie

Karen H. said...

Good Morning Laura,
I do love the Apron that belonged to your Grandmother and I know it has special meaning to you. It is beautiful and still looks like it is in very good shape. I vaguely remember my Grandma wearing an Apron as well. My Mom never wore an apron that much that I can remember. I do remember when I was in High School and took Home-Ec., that we had to make an apron as our first sewing project. I don't know if my Mom still has that apron or not. I can't remember now what color mine was. I do have a decorative Apron my Mom made me when I got married and it has watermelons on it. It's the kind you put over your kneck tho. Take care my friend and have a great day. May God Bless You and Yours.

Love & Hugs,
Karen H.
P.S. I see you are getting some SPAM here on your comment section. You may have to enable your comments where you have to type in those letters.

Beemoosie said...

What a wonderful post, Laura!! You are such a sweet lady! It always touches my heart how clearly you know the true meaning of family; you always have something to teach me!!
XO
Bonnie

Jessica said...

That is a great story behind your beautiful apron. I'm glad to hear that you will continue to pass it down to your daughter.

Mississippi Songbird said...

How neat! Bless your heart. What a treasure.. Have a great weekend..

BClark said...

Laura how very super to have something special like that apron to cherish. A wonderful connection to your past.

Best to you, Barbara

Karen said...

I so enjoyed this post. How wonderful that you have your grandma's apron and that you've used it. I like wearing aprons and have a couple that were my mother's.