Tuesday, April 22, 2008

IN THE KITCHEN/DOMESTIC BLISS


It wasn't until just a year ago, I realize that canning was a dying art. I thought that everyone knew how to can. As far back as a I can remember I have always helped in some way with the canning that my family done every year. When I got married the first time, I started canning for my own family and have contiuned every year. I can everything from tomatos, green beans, sauces, soups, jelly, salsa, to even canning cakes in a jar. I also give some of my canning away for Christmas presents and even enter some in our local fair during the summer. I trully enjoy putting up my fruits-of-labor and then watching others enjoy it later on in the year. Pictured here is squash pickles. I will be posting the recipe later on in the week for this.
If you are interested in learning more about the farmlife or just wanting to connect with others like yourself try dropping in at www.maryjanesfarm.org .

6 comments:

ancient one said...

Those pickles make my mouth water. I will check back to get the recipe. I used to can a lot ... now with just two people, I don't do it as much... but I'm hopping to can some tomoatoes this summer.. no bought canned tomatoes can compare to home canned.

ancient one said...

Hey everbody... Addie has added to her blogspot... I would love for you to read it and leave her a comment... thanks!

http://addiezinone.blogspot.com/

Renie Burghardt said...

Laura,

Those squash pickles look good! I used to can a lot, too, but don't do much of it anymore, since I have gotten older. Well, maybe I should say old. I do still put up a small garden, and these days, I freeze some of my veggies. With the cost of food these days, putting up a garden,and canning and frezing sure pays off, not to mention that everything from one's own garden tastes so much better.

Look forward to your recipe. I have zucchini and cucumbers growing well already, and I may just put up a few jars of squash pickles. And I have wild cherries, and always do a few jars of wild cherry jelly. People like those as gifts as well.

Take care!

Renie

Tina Leavy said...

I always love seeing the pictures of canned goods. the pickles look great.hope you are having a good week. thanks so much for stopping by.

Beemoosie said...

I wish you were up here to TEACH me to can. I've read about it, but would just love someone to walk me through it! With the price of everything, I think it's about time I learn!!
Have a great weekend!
Bonnie

Mississippi Songbird said...

Oh, Those look so good..I will check back and get the recipe too. Have a great weekend..
My son has another track meet in Tupelo this saturday..