Saturday, April 26, 2008

IN THE GARDEN....

I always have a garden every year. I enjoy planting tomatos, all kinds of peppers, squash, eggplant, corn, orka, and purple hull peas. I do alot of canning and freezing the vegetables. I had posted pictures earlier of my garden and of some of the canned goods, mainly squash pickles.8cups of sliced squash
2cups diced onions
2cups diced bell peppers
1 40z jar pimentos
4 cups of vinegar
2 cups sugar
1/4 cup salt
2 TB mustard seed and celery seed
Put the squash, onions, bell pepper, pimentos into a bowl, pour 1/4 cup salt on them and cover with ice water. Let sit for 2 hours, then drain. Put vinegar, sugar, mustard seed and celery seed and let come to boil. Add squash mixture and return to a boil. Let boil for 3 minutes. Then put into hot jars. After I put my into the jars I then turn the jars upside down for atleast 10 minutes after that I return to the upright position. These are good on vegetables or just to eat with crackersated that I would share the recipe with all of you and well, here it

2 comments:

Renie Burghardt said...

Good recipe, Laura. Thank you for it. Will have to try it. I always had a large garden, but this year, only have tomatoes, zucchini, cucmbers, peppers and leaf lettuce, which is now ready to eat. Delicious, too! All home grown veggetables are more tasty than store bought.

Blessings,

Renie

Tina Leavy said...

thanks for the recipe. can you leave out the onions on this recipe? do you think it would still work o.k.?