Tuesday, July 3, 2007



As you can see in this picture, we are adding on to the goat pen. This pen will be where the little ones will stay. It will hold the 5 little ones that will go into the show ring this year. Lamar worked all day yesterday on it and finally got it finished. It has a two gates on it, one that goes from one pen to the other and then a gate that goes into the pasture. So, they will be able to roam in the pasture but come evening time they will go back into their pen. You can see my two little ones standing with their mom. They are boer cross. I bred my Nubain doe to a reg. boer billy. They have the traits of the boer and will be breeding stock come next year. I have found out that breeding like that throws out some of the best meat goats that come in the arena. I will show them this year but will not sale at the end of the season for I want to keep them. I believe Shelby will place highly this year. I like the way she is built and stands. She is deep in the body and stands perfectly square on her feet. Like you drew a box for her to stand on. Wheezer is a little on the small size and she may turn out to do fine but Shelby is the one who I'm putting my money on this year. She will also be the goat for showmanship. She holds her head up and stretches out. She is calm and that is one of the traits I look for to enter in showmanship. David doesn't show in showmanship for it makes him nervous but Emily can go into the class and either win or place next to it. Some have that kind of gift and she knows how to work a goat in the ring and how to keep her eyes on the judge at all times. She knows what he is looking for when she enters and she does it. A lot of judges wants to see if you have control of the animal, if you can set it up correctly, be prepared to go left or right at the drop of a hat, just a calm look on your face and that you enjoy it. Sometimes the judge may ask you questions and I just draw up when they are talking to her for you never know what she may tell. lol David does good in the weight class and there isn't alot of pressure in it. So he just shows in the weight classes.

No comments: