Saturday, July 7, 2007


My Uncle and Aunt came last night and brought me some squash so today has found me canning squash pickles.Here is the recipe. Very easy.
8 cups of sliced squash
2cups diced onions
2cups diced bell peppers
1 40z jar pimentos
4 cups of vinegar
2 cups sugar
1/4 cup salt
2 TB mustard seed and celery seed
Put the squash, onions, bell pepper, pimentos into a bowl, pour 1/4 cup salt on them and cover with ice water. Let sit for 2 hours, then drain. Put vinegar, sugar, mustard seed and celery seed and let come to boil. Add squash mixture and return to a boil. Let boil for 3 minutes. Then put into hot jars. After I put my into the jars I then turn the jars upside down for atleast 10 minutes after that I return to the upright position. These are good on vegetables or just to eat with crackers.
I also sliced some squash and put into freezer bags for this winter I can have fried squash.

4 comments:

Kim Campbell said...

That looks sooooo good!

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Whitney said...

Yum. I am going to try your squash pickles. I have zucchini. Do you think it will work with them?

Whitney said...

When you freeze your squash do you blanche it first or just freeze it raw? If you blanche it how long do you blanche?