Tuesday, July 24, 2007

It has been hot and humid here. The weather channel is saying we should have a cool front to move in later on this week. I sure hope so for the rodeo is this weekend and it always end up being hot hot hot during that time. We worked the goats for alittle while yesterday but just manily giving them some days off. goats can get stressed out real easily so we are just trying to let them regroup. I still have 3 more goats to clipped and trim before next Tuesday. We have a show in Pittsboro that day. Last Saturday we had 70 goats in the show. That was more than last year, we only had 27 then. Goats are becoming a big thing now days. It use to be that goats was only used for cleaning up brush and such. Now, here they are making the show ring and costing just as much for a cow if not more. All my goats are raised here in MS. I know that some people go out of state and buy their herd but I try to raise mine my own. No, their traits aren't as good as those coming out of state. I know that if I stay with it long enough, I will get the traits of a champion one day. My friend Justin couldn't figure out why his goats kept getting sick come to find out , they are in a pasture with ducks and geese and that is where they are picking up the diseases from. He is going to start feeding them the medicated feed for goats and keep on vaccinating them so maybe we can get the problem solved. They are drinking out of the pond where the ducks and geese swim, poop, and pee at so that is the carrier. He may have to look somewhere else to graze his goats. We will just have to wait and see. I try to worm every 21 days and it is time to worm. For my little ones, I go 3 ccs and my big ones I go 5ccs. It is better to over worm than under worm. I use safeguard for goats with a withdrawl time of 14 days. Whenever you give a goat something make sure you write it down and look to see what the withdrawl time is. This is for your dairy and meat goats. I keep a journal notebook and also have records on my computer. I try to keep it so if this computer fails me again, I have my backup. Also at shows, everything that goes into my goats , I have to show when, where, how much , how come, and so forth. Yup, alot of book keeping just for goats.

1 comment:

Day4plus said...

Hi thanks for visiting my blog. I posted a picture of my daughter working cows--thought maybe you'd like to see it.
I never had goats before although a lot of people up here do. down the road from us used to be a large horse outfit but now they raise goats and they a huge number of them--al guarded by great Pyrenese dogs. We had sheep for awhile but stick mostly to horses. Will your son be able to come home for Christmas? He he at basic now.
Kylee has a Jr. rodeo this weekend--poles and barrels. I'll tell her you said hey. MB