Wednesday, September 12, 2007

FAR MORE PRECIOUS THAN RUBIES OR GOLD.....


This apron is very precious to me, you see, it was my grandmothers. Now, it may not look like much for it is made out of flour sacks, no ribbon nor nothing fancy, just a plain ole apron. I find myself putting this apron on more than any other apron. When I am wearing it, I catch myself doing things just like my grandmother did. When I am milking, I often wonder if this is how Mama Jack did this or any other chore that I'm doing. It seems that everytime I get a letter from Jon Brandon I have this apron on. It catches my tears as they fall, it wipes the sweat of my face when outside, wipe my hands on or even to protect my hands when handling something hot. I often wonder if this apron caught my grandmother's tears as she read letters from my Dad when he was in the military, or wiped the sweat of her face, protected her hands, wiped tears from a young one, to shoo chickens back into their pen at night, or even helped hold eggs when she gathered them. No, my apron isn't fancy but the memories it holds it something far more precious to me than rubies or gold.

5 comments:

Tina Leavy said...

what a wonderful apron. I wish I had my granny's aprons.
But I do have some lovely memories though.

Beemoosie said...

You my girl, know the true use of an apron!!! What a wonderful momento from your grandmother!
Hope all is well!
XO
B

ancient one said...

I never wore aprons, neither did my mom, but my grandmother did. I had two given to me recently and I have them stashed some place.

When I worked at a factory, I wore a small apron to hold scrap yarn.

I love your thoughts about what your grandmother might have done wearing the apron.

(hugs)

Tina Leavy said...

hey..I signed up for the week long tea thing..so just a few more days then I'll be back to my regular everyday topics.:0)
hubby has had the flu this week and I had one day of sore throat with feeling real tired and puss bump on throat..once the puss bump was gone I was just fine. Mine only lasted a day..woohoo..yay. and I'm right as rain.:0) Can't keep this gal down.:0)
hope you are having a good week thus far. A good weekend to ya! I'm wanting to hit a few yard sales but dunno what I'm gonna do this weekend. Actually need to weed flower beds but how fun is that? ha.
Have a great evening. Hugs, Tina

Kim Campbell said...

It's beautiful Laura!