Sunday, September 2, 2007

ok, Shelby, Wheezer, Taco, Molly, Lady, anyone else.....

It seems when it rains on a farm, it pours. No, I'm not talking about the rain from the skies , I'm talking about the down falls on a farm. First it was Jose, then last night, one of the ponies started coughing. I gave each pony a shot of 3 cc's of argri-cillin. I feel like it is what is known as shipping cold. The new one was brought in on a trailer that cows are hauled in, unless you wash the trailer out , the other animals that get on it will catch it. Got up this morning to feed and milk, noticed something just wasn't right with Ginger(my nubian doe that I milk). Went to wash her teats and her bag was hard. There is no fever , so I feel like I just found it. She was fine last night, so I get my book(my cheat notes) and look to see how to treat Mastitis. It is telling me to inject her with Oxytetracycline. Guess what?! Yup, don't have it. So, off to Scruggs which is in another town about 24 miles away. When I get there, I see that the price on the smallest bottle is $35.00. Wait, I can order that from Caprine for only $15.00. I know there will be a little shipping and handling but still way cheaper than this. Then suddenly something catches my eye(a bright pink barrel racing saddle?) there is the gentric version of LA 200(oxytetracycline) called Agrimycin 200 for only $9.00. So, that is what I purchase. Then I check out the new barrel racing saddles. Whew, too rich for my blood, think I will keep riding in the old one that I have. Get home, yup, the other pony is coughing some. I have done more injecting shots today then some nurses. Why is it, these animals are eating a hole in my pocket? Am I ever going to see a return of them? Can I get my money back on any of them? Naw, think I will keep them, but seriously, where is the profit from a farm? AAHHH..... it's not the money that is the return, it is when I pull up or come out the back door, and I'm greeted like the most important person in the world by the bleating of the goats, the barking of the dogs, the neighing of the horses, and the bellowing of the cows. Yeah, I'm important, I'm the hand that feeds them.

3 comments:

Tina Leavy said...

ahh Luara...gracious sakes..I'm so sorry to hear all this is going on at the farm. I really hope that the ponies/horses will be on the mend soon ..as well as the goat.
Glad you found the meds at a cheaper price too.
I hope that this coming week will go smoother for you and the animals will all get better.
Hugs to ya,
Tina

Tracey said...

Money back? Profitable return? What planet do you live on, girl???

Tracey said...

BTW, the la 200 and agrimycin will create temporary sterility...60 days, I believe. I gave it to one of my rams last fall; late babies!