Friday, June 1, 2007

Goats
This posting will be some of the most asked questions about goats. If you are wanting a goat , I hope these will help you come to conclusion about owning a goat, housing, and types of goats.
Why do I raise goats?
Goats are one of the most inexpensive animal to have. They require small housing, not a BIG place to roam, ease to handle, keep, and transport. They are so much easier to show than cattle, horses, and swine. How do I know? I have showed cattle, horses, and swine in 4-H when I was growing up.
Goats also can turn a project or hobby into profit. There are dairy goats that produce milk, can make cheese, make butter, and soap. Then you have your fiber goats, where you can use their fibers for knitting, crochet, and weaving. You have meat goats, where not only do they produce meat for your family you will be surprised at the people who will come to you wanting to buy their own for slaughter.
Is rasing goats a lot of work?
I have found out that dairy goats do require more attention and have alot of responsibilty. The meat goats, is so much easier for we only keep alot of them for only about 11 months. So, the chores of meat goats are only for a little while where dairy is everyday, twice a day, come rain, snow, sleet, or hail. Sort of like the postman.
Can a kid have a goat or does that kid need help? Goats are the most easiest animal for a kid to start with. Yes, there will be times when the child needs help. If a child wants a show animal , I tell the parents, go find them a kid(baby goat) They are able to handle them by theirselves.
What kind of housing and how much land or pasture is needed with goats?
All goats needs is a well vented lean to or small structure that will protect them from the sun, wind, rain, and snow. You don't need a large pasture for them, depending on how many you start with. My pen is large but I have several goats. I have seen a pen of only 200 for 2 goats. As long as you get them out on a regular basis and excerise them. I personally think one that size for 2 goats is fine.
Which goat is best suited for me?
Are you wanting a dairy goat for milk or you wanting a meat goat? You need to look at how much time and responsibilty you want. If you are a person who can handle getting out in any type of weather for milking twice a day, go for the dairy. If you are wanting a project for 4-h or ffa and this is for kids, I think a meat goat is best.
How many goats do I need to get started with?
Goats are social animals. They do best when you have at least 2 together.
What about goats with horns and those things that hang down under their chins?
I prefer my goats not to have horns. I try to dishorn my goats when they are young. Dairy goats are more active than other goats, so the horns could hurt you or the goat. You will see some goats with two little teats hanging down under their chins. These are wattles. Some goats will have them and some won't. I like to think of them of goat jewerly. They don't mean anything.
Will be posting later more about goats. Goats are alot of fun. They are loveable and have their own little personality. It's so much fun watching the little ones play.
Hope some of this helps.

No comments: