Wednesday, June 27, 2007

I often wonder if everybody else has a hard time making a go on the farm as I. Trying to have an income off of farming is nearly stuipd. We don't have the kind of money that allows me to stay at home and not work. When I was working, there was more money put into the farm then any profits coming out of it. I have no other choice than to turn this place around and make it go. It's a hard way to make a living. Farming is becoming something of the past. Only hobby farms now. Sure , there is still some farms around but what if another bad year hits, then what? Will it happen to them like it has happened to me in the past.? No animal is able to stay here unless it can earn its keep here. The horses, sure Dass has been able to earn her keep, the new horse, we will just have to wait and see. If not, then for sale she will be. The goats, right now, they are able to keep me in milk and I'm trying to sell some of the milk. I can not sell milk to the public for humans to drink, but I can sell it for orphan animals, so when they leave my driveway what they do with it is their business.
The drought we are having is putting the pressure from the small farmer to the bigger one. Everything from fuel, to feed, to hay, and the food we put on our table is going up. Right now cattle is doing okay with their prices but how long will the prices hold up. I'm sure come September there will be people who have no choice but to sell for they don't have hay to feed them through the winter. We have only 4 momma cows and 2 calves. I have been thinking about getting rid of one of the older cows and replacing her with one of the new heifers. The only thing that is going to be costly here soon with them is finding a bull. \
I will be posting tomorrow about goats. I will post some home remedies that I use and they have worked for me. I know you all are so excited you can't wait till tomorrow to read. Until then.... Have a good one.

1 comment:

Tina Leavy said...

I hope that you can find things that work well for you on making the farm make a profit. One idea on the goats milk..can you sell it to soap crafters too? Don't some folks use the goats milk in soap making and so forth?
One of the farmgirls has started planting/growing daylilies for resale too.
I bet there are some other things than just raising animals that can wind up turning a pretty good profit for you.
What about growing specialty vegetables for chefs? Unique varieties of produce that is hard to find?
Just a few ideas. And have you looked into hydroponic gardening? (vertigro.com) No digging, no weeding but you can grow things like strawberries, etc and have it handicapped accessible for u-pick.
Someone we know in South Florida has a hydroponics set up and advertises during strawberry season that her set up is handicapped accessible because the vertigro system allows folks in wheelchairs to get to puick their own fruits and veggies. She has a little Amish built shed on her property that looks like a shepherds wagon on the doorway of it..and it is small but she keeps a glass front cooler in it and has shelves with fresh produce and local honey and a few crafted items for sale in it as well as offers brochures about the benefits of organic foods.
She does pretty good at it.
She also grows specialty items for the local chef market/resturaunts.
just a few ideas.
hugs to ya, Tina