Tuesday, June 19, 2007

This past weekend has not been kind to me. I notice that one of the goats had a runny eye. I thought maybe she had something in it. Nope, turns out she has the pinkeye. YIKES!!!!! This can spread through my herd very fast. So , I pulled her out and put her away from the other goats and have started treatment on her. I also doctored on the others. What I do when I notice one has the pinkeye, is this: (1) seperate the infected goat (2) start treatment asap. I have used neosporene in the eye, right under the eye lid, or take pencillin and squirt in into the eye. (3) for the other goats, I take listerine and wash around their eyes and put either neosprene or pencillin squirts in their eyes.
Pinkeye is also called conjunctivitis or infectious keratoconjunctivitis. It is a bacteria that is caused by flies or dust. The symptoms will usually be red- eyes, cloudy look to their eyes, almost like they have cataracts,they even act like they are blind. This can lead to blindness also. It usually takes about 2 weeks for it to get cleared up if you catch it in time. Which is what I hope I have done. None of the other goats is showing signs of it. So maybe I have stopped the spread of it.
I had a barrel race Saturday , about one hour away from home. I get there, get saddled up, and reach in for the headstall and reins. Yup, you guessed it. It wasn't there. A few blue words came out of my mouth. I ended up borrowing a headstall from one person, a bit from another, and reins from someone else. I was next to the last one to run. Had people making sure the alleway was clear for we didn't know how she would react to this new bit. I had a special bit made for her for she runs away with me. I had the smoothest run on her that I have ever had. I even got her stopped. So, my next thing to do is , buy a bit just like that.
We finially have rain. It has rained here for 2 days straight. Thank you God. We have needed rain real bad. Maybe now the hay fields will produce along with my garden.
Have a good one.

2 comments:

Whitney said...

Hope your goat is doing better. I bet pink-eye in a goat is similar to pink-eye in people. Annoying if you catch it in time but super contageous.

Glad you had a good race on Saturday.

How's the job hunt coming? Did you get the job on the construction site?

Tina Leavy said...

so sorry to hear about the goat problem. hope that it was caught on time and will heal quickly. hope that you caught it before it spread through the flock.
Glad you found a new bit solution for the horse and that she gave you a good run.
And yeah..if I was close by I'd be over to give you a hand too with things around your place.:0)
Course we'd have to have good ole Southern ice tea on hand, and make mine with plenty of lemon.:0)
hugs to ya, have a good week.
Tina